Standardization Projects and Groups Related to FMI
In many applications there is the need to design, simulate and execute a network of components (simulation models, software, hardware etc.). In order to be able to do this tool independently and seamlessly, the purposes of the “System Structure and Parameterization of Components for Virtual System Design (SSP)” project are:
- Define a standardized way to store and apply parameters to these components.
- Define a standardized format for the connection structure for a network of components.
- The developed standard / APIs should be usable in all stages of development process (architecture definition, integration, simulation, test in MiL, SiL, HiL).
Link to project page.
At the beginning of the ITEA2 project MODELISAR (the project in which FMI was initially developed) it was planned to develop FMI for Applications. The intention was to specify an API for simulation tools that allows the access of model parameters, stimulations and simulation results and to control simulation experiments as well. The API was supposed to provide tool independent access to simulation computations for optimization tools, test management and workflow definition tools.
The project group noticed the parallel work of the ASAM XIL standardization group. Thus, both groups came to the conclusion not to develop a parallel standard but to cooperate. The result of this cooperation is available as ASAM XIL-MA, which is a subset from ASAM XIL standard. It contains the model access port specification as well as necessary common functionality for a proper operation of the model access. XIL-MA is open to public and the documentation of the standard can be obtained from ASAM for free without membership.
Link to specification.
ProSTEP Smart System Engineering
One of the topics of the Smart Systems Engineering project is to find solutions for the cross-disciplinary and cross-enterprise exchange of behavioral models. The Functional Mockup Interface (FMI) is viewed as the basic technology for the exchange.
Link to project page.
FMI for PLM
FMI for PLM was developed as part of the ITEA2 project MODELISAR. The intention is to provide a generic way to handle all FMI related data needed in a simulation of systems in a “Product Lifecycle Management” system.
- Functional Mock-up Units data needed for: edition, documentation, simulation, validation
- Co-simulation data needed for: edition, simulation, and results management
- Result valuation data needed for: post-processing, analysis, report
Generic processes are defined here, as well as a format description to communicate between the PLM system and the authoring tools.
Version 1.0 was released on Mar. 31, 2011.